Friday, February 25, 2011

My Son Is Interning With Barney Burman - Oscar Winner for Makeup FX

If you’ve read my blog, you probably know my friend Sica made the dress worn by Barney Burman’s wife at the Academy Awards in 2010. Barney won for his work on Star Trek in Make-up FX. I was fortunately enough to meet Barney at the time and as a result have been in contact with him off and on since. In January 2011, Barney posted on Facebook he was looking for an intern. My older son Jayson was interested. A few weeks later he posted he was in need of help moving his shop. Jayson and I helped Barney begin the move process. It seems a number of people were interested in learning from Barney, but fewer were interested in helping him move. After helping with the move, Barney offered Jayson the opportunity to join him in the shop to help and learn. Even though it’s not a “paid” position, the opportunity provides so much more than a simple paycheck would. To learn from someone who is a third generation make-up artist, and an Academy Award winner, WOW!! My son is ‘loving it’ and learning so much. Each day he is exposed to a new process, technique or experience. I am thrilled he is able to have this experience and excited to see where it takes him. Kudos to my son, and a big thank you to Barney for the opportunity!!




A few examples of Barney's work. (I don't believe these are from Star Trek, but I could be wrong...watch the movie and you will see some great work!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barb,

    I came across your post as I was doing a little research about Barney Burman. I have recently moved to CA to pursue my dream of going to school to be a professional special effects artist. I was so happy to hear that your son got an intership with such a talent artist. I am still in the early stages of learning this amazing craft and it was really encouraging to see that there are artists out there willing to take on interns. If you don't mind me asking, does your son have any previous make up experience? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete